How to Fry Clams – Video from Woodman’s of Essex
Your Fried Clam Kit order has been shipped via FedEx to ensure its freshness. All seafood should be cooked on day of arrival. If you have any questions regarding the instructions below please feel free to call our toll-free number at 1-800-649-1773.
Chubby’s Fried Clam Recipe
Click here to order Woodman’s Fried Clam Kit!
What You’ll Need
- Deep Fryer, Cast Iron Skillet, or Heavy Fry Pan the deeper the better
- Enough Lard, Crisco or Vegetable Oil, to fill ½ the depth of the pan or as directed, if using a deep fryer (we use lard and so did “Chubby”, do not use Olive Oil)
- Bowl to Hold Evaporated Milk 12 oz. can
- Large Bowl to Hold Seafood Batter Mix
- Slotted or Mesh Utensil
350º (360º for electric stoves)
- Heat lard, or oil up to temperature (350º/gas 360º for electric stoves)
- Strain & pat clams dry with paper towel
- Dip clams into bowl of evaporated milk (about ¼ of the package at a time).
- Strain off excess evaporated milk.
- Place strained clams in seafood batter mix and fluff until evenly coated.
- Lift clams from mix with mesh utensil and shake off any excess mix.
- Carefully immerse clams, in small batches, into hot oil using a metal spoon to place them in the oil.
Stand back from fryer during cooking to avoid hot spattering oil.
- Listen to them sizzle.
- When they start to quiet down, roughly 1 minute and 15 seconds, scoop them out with a slotted or mesh utensil.
- Shake off excess oil.
- Clams should be golden in color.
- Make sure they are crisp.
Be sure not to undercook the clams they will be soggy and greasy. Be sure not to overcook, they will be rubbery.
- Gently pat excess grease with paper towel.
- Season to taste
- We suggest Woodman’s tartar sauce, salt, ketchup, lemon, hot sauce or just plain – they’re delicious as is!